Anyone coming across badminton would imagine the face of the Indian Youngster Saina Nehwal. Isn’t it? After all, she is the best Indian Badminton player. Here are a few interesting facts about Saina Nehwal that you can’t afford to miss out on! Read on to know more and let us know your favorite.
Interesting facts about Saina Nehwal’s childhood:
- Saina Nehwal was born to Harvur Singh Nehwal and Usha Rani Nehwal on the 17th of March, 1990.
- Her sibling Chandramshu Nehwal is a volleyball player.
- Surprisingly, Saina’s mother was a state-level champion in badminton, and her father was a top university player during his days. Saina took badminton to fulfill her parent’s goals and dreams!
She began with badminton at the budding age of 8, and the rest is history!
- Her father, looking at her practice, invested all his funds to give her the best badminton training available in the town.
- Apart from this sport, Saina is a brown belt holder in Karate.
- She completed her schooling in Campus School CCS HAU, Hisar, Haryana. Later, owing to her father’s transfer, she completed her Intermediate at St.Ann’s college for women at Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad.
Interesting facts about Saina Nehwal’s achievements:
Saina played 628 matches and won 433 in singles games, whereas, in the doubles category, she won 9 of the 33 matches played by her. She was honored enough to have represented India thrice in the Olympics. Concurrently, she won a bronze medal for her country in the Olympics. She holds 24 International titles to her name.
Saina Nehwal’s personal life:
On 14th December 2018, she married her co-player, Parupalli Kashyap. They had been great friends since childhood. They first met at the badminton coaching classes, and after spending so much time together, the pair decided to get married. The duo also appeared in The Kapil Sharma Show in 2019.
Saina Nehwal’s political life:
Saina Nehwal joined the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) in 2020. Since she loves working hard, and that her inspiration was the PM, Mr. Narendra Modi Sir, she decided to join the BJP to contribute her part for the country’s citizens.
Interesting facts about Saina Nehwal’s career:
- Saina lost her first world championship but, she went on to win the “Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament” in 2006. She has won it twice now. In May 2006, she became the First Indian Women to have won the 4-star tournament.
- In 2007, she won the opening matches of the BWF World Championship and became the first Indian woman to win the prestigious title of the World Junior Badminton Champion in 2008. In the same year, she won the Yonex China Jaipei Open against Malaysia with a magnificent 21-8, 21-19.
- In 2008, she was titled “The Most promising player.” She is the first Indian to win a BWF Super Series. Likewise, she won so many tournaments and championships. She won the Singapore Open Super series 2010 as well. On 15th July 2010, she was ranked No. 2 after Wang Yihan of China.
- Saina also won the women’s singles badminton with a gold medal in the 2010 Commonwealth games. Everyone faces a bad patch. On a similar background, she had a great fall from No 1 Ranking to No seven due to her loss in the 2010 Chine Monter super series and 2010 Japan Superseries.
Her comeback and further achievements:
- After winning Indonesia super series 2010, she took a huge gap of 5 months, and then after she appeared for the 2010 Hong Kong super series and won her 4th super series title.
- Unfortunately, she lost in the All England open against Eriko Hirose of Japan. After which, she was so depressed that she decided to restart her journey and won the Swiss Open title.
Likewise, though she lost some tournaments, she never gave up and always fought for her to become a champion.
- She won many titles like the Thailand Open in 2012, the Indonesia Open title in 2012, and the Denmark Open title. In 2014, she defeated the Bronze Medal – World Champion P. V. Sindhu and won the women’s singles of India open Grand Pix Gold tournament.
- Nehwal won the Syed Modi International in 2015 and became the first Indian woman shuttle badminton player to play the finals in England. On 29th March 2015, Nehwal won the women’s singles title at India Open BWF Super Series.
Another few facts:
Here are a few more interesting facts about Saina Nehwal.
- She had a severe injury in 2016, but she soon recovered from that. Then, she lost many games and got defeated.
- Again in 2017, she won Malaysia Masters.
- In 2018, she won Indonesia Masters and a Gold in the Commonwealth Games women’s singles, defeating P.V. Sindhu.
- In 2019, she won a BWF Super 500 title and also the National Championship by defeating P.V.Sindhu.
Lastly, She never gave up!
Also read about: